Total Pageviews

October 6, 2010

Speaking in Maryland..

Hi blog family!
I had a great time speaking with the hard truth panel for the last time today :( I will still be speaking, writing, producing and doing tv! :) 

 My book is finally Done! "Surviving Foster Care & Making it work for you!" I will get back to you on a release date! 
I hope you started your school week off good! Keep up the good work, someone is watching that is younger than you!!
About the conference we spoke at today....

 What a great audience of proffessionals that really came out to support you! I can assure you--you are in good hands! You will leave brighter, wiser and ready to face this wonderful adventurous world!!

I shared my story and then gave some ideas I thought could help. 

For those that just came  in foster care-- I am sure you remember the day your worker came and got you!
I remember being hungry!!
1. I suggested that they bring a piece of food when they go to confiscate a child from their home...
along with a camera..to preserve their history! I never had a picture of myself as a baby or before 7...and the one picture I had....my birth cousin took and never gave it back... it would have been nice to see a photo of myself when I first came into care..
2. Be careful what they write in a child's record--it can follow us for the rest of  our lives....I remember when i read I was "slow"--when i first came in care!! I felt they should have considered I came from an abandonment/neglect situation....whom could I have learned from??? I did not start school until I was 7 years old....also I want YOU to remember to do YOUR part, good behavior, not fighting or yelling, going to school etc.....
3, Teaching you how to think positive, that you will be your own hero at the end of the day...by going to class, finding good support, loving self etc...and finding your gifts and talent at a young age will give you confidence...nothing like knowing you have "something" people appreciate.. your sense of value will increased..
4. hiring ex foster care alumni like us, My book, workshops I created, the blog of encouragement...you kids like familiarity...we have been there, done that and now as Oprah says...the AHHHHH moments, but we share it with you  BEFORE you age out!! You need to find out how you can give back to other kids in the system--maybe just a smile..yes, that helps a new kid who comes in scared and alone...just a smile for now...:)

I had plenty more but we only had 20 minutes.....know that alot of people are working to change the lives of kids in foster care, Do your part and listen to good advice, role model after GOOD workers/staff, don't give them a hard time, and know that Maryland has got your back!! xo Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment